Noun is a word used as the name of a person, place or thing.
Ex- Radhika is going on a world tour.
Paris is the capital of France
Walnuts are on sale today.
Kinds of Noun
- Proper noun
- Common noun
- Collective noun
- Abstract noun
- Countable noun
- Uncountable noun
- Proper noun—It is the name of some particular person or thing.
For ex– Riya is my best friend.
Agra is situated on the banks of river Yamuna.
Rahul is a doctor.
I live in London.
2. Common noun—It is name given in common to every person or thing of same class.
For ex–I want a new pair of shorts.
You broke my favorite mug.
They’re all waiting for us at the restaurant.
My book is on the table.
3. Collective noun—It is the name of a collection of persons or things taken together as whole.
For ex–She shuffledthe deck of cards.
The crowd cheered the team.
The committee has enjoyed donuts with the tea.
My class is exceptionally bright.
4. Abstract noun—It is name of quality, action or state.
For ex-This is your greatness.
Honesty is the best policy.
Our friendship has lasted for many years.
We can’t imagine the courage it took to do that
Another classification of noun is whether they are ‘countable’ or ‘uncountable’.
5. Countable nouns–These are the names of person or objects that we can count.
Ex- table, chair, book, pen,etc
NOTE– Countable nouns may have plural forms like tables, chairs, books, pensbut uncountable nouns cannot have plural forms we cannot say “milks” or “sugars”.
6. Uncountable nouns– It is the name of things which we cannot count.
Ex- milk, sugar,happiness,etc
Note –Uncountable nouns cannot be used with a/an.
Ex- He gave me an advice—wrongx
He gave me some advice—–correct