- A sentence that contains all 26 letters in the English alphabet is called a pangram. The most common pangram is English is
A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
2. The longest English word without a true vowel (a, e, i, o or u) is “rhythm“.
3. ‘Queueing’ is the only word with five consecutive vowels (five vowels in a row). This is a great word to use when you play hangman!……………………done
4. When two words are combined to form a single word, the new word is called a “portmanteau”( Eg- motor + hotel= motel)
5. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.
6. Only two English words in current use end in “-gry”. They are “angry” and “hungry“.
7. There are only 4 English words in common use ending in “dous”: hazardous, horrendous, stupendous, and tremendous.
8. “Go!” is the shortest grammatically correct sentence in English.
9. The longest word in English has 45 letters: ‘pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis’! It is a type of lung disease caused by inhaling ash and sand dust.
10. Approximately one new word is added to the English language every two hours. At this rate, the dictionary grows by about 4,000 words a year.