Hy! Here you can learn about parts of speech in English language…….This will help you to better understand English sentence structure and how English grammar works.
So, What are parts of speech?
Definition- When words are divided into different kinds or classes, according to their use in a sentence, they are called parts of speech.
Do you know.. According to modern English grammar….How many parts of speech are there? Can you name them?
According to modern English grammar there are 9 parts of speech:
Here, we will discuss briefly about these parts of speech….
- Noun : it is name of a person, place or thing.
Example – Akbar was a great king.
We live in London.
The rose smells sweet.
2. Adjective : It is a word that describes a noun.
Example – He is a brave boy.
There are five pens on the table.
3. Pronoun : it is word used instead of noun.
Example- Neha is my classmate. She is an innocent girl.
He works in this office.
She is my best friend.
4. Verb : it is word used to express: à an action
- Feeling or thoughts
- A state of being(be) / (helping verbs)
Example- The girl is playing basketball.
I admire your confidence.
Mumbai is a metro city.
5. Adverb : word that describes:
- an adjective
- another adverb
Example- my cat eats quickly.
This dress is very beautiful.
He pronounced the word quite correctly.
6.Preposition : word used with noun or pronoun to establish relation with something else.
Example- The cat is sleeping on the table.
The girl sat under a tree.
He drove over the bridge.
7. Conjunction : it is used to join words or sentences.
Example- Sita and Gita were playing tennis.
Rohit is a doctor and rahul is an engineer.
I ran fast but missed the train.
8. Interjection : it is used to express sudden feelings.
Example- Alas! She is dead.
Hurrah! We have won the game.
9. Determiners : These are words which are used to determine a noun or to identify the things. These are used in front of noun.
Example- These apples are good.
Those mangoes are rotten.
Arnav came to our place yesterday.